Tuesday, September 30, 2014 | 5:43 PM
Post-Free Posting
I had just read a few pages of Flat-out Love by Jessica Park. It was nearly Christmas and Matt and Julie were exchanging gifts. That got me into thinking about gift-giving.
About a year ago while I was watching The Big Bang Theory, Sheldon suggested that the practice of gift-giving was pointless, or rather,
"makes no sense".
"Let's say I go out and I spend $50 on you. It's a laborious activity because I have to imagine what you need, whereas you know what you need. Now, I could simplify things...just give you the $50 directly and then you could give me $50 on my birthday, and soon, until one of us dies, leaving the other one old and $50 richer. And I ask you, is it worth it?" - Sheldon Cooper
Although this might make sense, there must be a reason that this custom was introduced.
The act of gift-giving is not merely a celebration of the event or served as a congratulatory note; it also allows the maintenance of the relationships between one another.
"...the foundation of gift-giving is reciprocity. You haven't given me a gift, you've given me an obligation. The essence of the custom is that I now have to go and purchase for you a gift of commensurate value and representing the same perceived level of friendship as that represented by the gift you've given me." - Sheldon Cooper
Totally agree with this. Penny had also mentioned that the gift should be fun where you believe that the receiver would never think of getting it by himself/herself. The question: should we follow Penny's advice or get a gift that is suitable for the receiver?
I guess it should be the latter as it is more meaningful, isn't it? It too shows that you
care. Even though 'it's the thought that counts', is it not more practical that the present suits the receiver's needs? If not, what is the point of gift-giving? It would very well be what Sheldon had said about being $50 richer, or just for the maintenance of the relationships which can also be perceived as an obligation.
How sad is that?