Monday, June 20, 2011 | 10:40 PM
Post-Review
(This is going to be a proper book review. Well, as proper as I can make it, as I do not really write proper book reviews anymore. This 'proper' review is for the benefit of my godsister, who's having difficulty in doing book reviews.)
I had just finished reading
Double Cross by Carolyn Crane. This story was about a hypochondriac named Justine Jones being a disillusionist, when she was 'forced' to become one by a handsome, sexy and extremely dangerous man called Packard. It was stated in the first book that Packard was a highcap and was 'locked' in Mongolian Delites, by way, was a restuarant, and the 'locker' was Midcity's most famous and all-time favourite detective, Otto Sanchez. This detective was too, a highcap, but with an amazing power which allowed him to lock people up in buildings. This was done possible as he created a force field which figuratively acted as an imaginary door that prevented people he wished remain locked in the building unable to exit that boundary. Packard and Otto were nemesis and of course, he was locked up by Otto. Now that Packard was free,
Double Cross introduced another problem: some were wearing anitihighcap glasses to kill any highcaps they could find. Packard was working frantically to prevent any further killings and seeked help from Justine along the way. Otto was held captive and was saved by his girlfriend, Justine. Justine was stuck between choosing the two perfect men but in the end, she still sticked with Otto. I felt so disappointed as I had always wanted Packard to be the right one. Not only that, the book ended in some kind of a twist, and which ironically, just added more to my disappointment. Due to these reasons, I would give it a 4 out of 5. Just what exactly is the twist? Read the book to find out!
(Actually, Justine knew about the feud between the 2 highcaps and rushed over to tell Packard that she loved him. She wanted to flee with Packard (he feared that Otto might seal him up again, which he will as their agreement was no longer valid) but met with Avery. Otto killed Avery by shooting him 4 times and what's worst, he asked Sophia to replace her memory of witnessing Otto killing Avery with PACKARD killing Avery. Stupid woman. When Otto proposed to her, she even agreed. Also, the last words that Packard spoke to her were words that cared for her. I realized that Otto was so much beyond Bill. If the roles were reversed, Bill would never kill Avery and would let Justine(Sookie) go with Packard(Eric). )